Sunday, August 16, 2009

Seven years on...
















I was recently notified on my hotmail account that it had been my seventh year of use. A sense of nostalgia came over me as I reminisced about how naive and sheltered from the Internet I was at that stage. For the first six months I recall I only had one online friend. This is quite remarkable when considering that I now have hundreds of friends on my various social networking accounts. Of course it wouldn't be long until I discovered the online accounts of my friends and I have continued to communicate with them through this medium ever since. While this was all well and good, the Internet never really interested me until I became aware of the direct access to music and other forms of media.

While the rise of Myspace and now Facebook are pivotal moments for many web users, I found that Myspace in particular to be highly instrumental in allowing me access to all kinds of free and instant music. It is very rare these days to find a band without a Myspace page. Therefore allowing me access to almost any artist I desire. I am obviously not alone in thinking this. Myspace changed the way in which music was released, causing record labels to reasses their stategies in order to compete. This medium has given artists the freedom that had never existed before and the people at Myspace must be congradulated for this.

Of course all good things come to an end and Myspace has certainly lost its monopoly over the social networking market. It seems apparent that most people are now Facebook junkies, leaving Myspace to seem boring and outdated. I hopeful that Facebook will eventually allow for music playing applications on their site but only time will tell.

While I am a semi-regular user of Facebook, I find that I now have a strong interest in personal/professional blogs. Many of these keep me updated with the activities of certain entities and allow me to stay informed about all things new that take my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment